Monday, July 20, 2009

The Gaps in Grief

Last weekend I attended a gathering of about 200 widows in San Diego. Whew, that must have been exciting I hear being whispered. She really is reaching I hear in hushed voices. Well, reaching yes, but more than that, receiving.

In grief, there are voids, there are gaps there are wide pauses that appear endless. As I sat on the plane for the trip to San Diego I reviewed how far I had travelled in space and time since my husband's passing. More striking was in this stillness , the sitting beside a stranger over the past 5 years and what had happened. What had transpired in that gap or void in my existence?

1. A Friar who missioned with orphans in India, switched seats and prayed with me.
2. A newly divorced woman who cared for abused dogs gave me her number and sent me a note and a Christmas card.
3. A young mother from India, complemented me on the color I was wearing and we shared our common thread of moving and now a lunch last week.
4. A college girl gave me her mom's name and address and then her mom and I became friends.
5. A older woman, never married, showed me the courage to go out and do something for me on my own.
6. A young couple wished me well traveling to this conference and acknowleged my "strength" and believed in my unrealized succeess.


The people- all kinds- all walks- all visions.
The place- a seat next to me on an airplane.
Why? Because we all care and we all matter.



STRANGERS IN FLIGHT



IN THE VOID
IN THE GAP
EXPECTATIONS THAT THOSE WHO KNEW ME WOULD FILL THEM

FLIGHTS ON AIR
TOUCHING ELBOWS AND HEARTS
WITH STRANGERS


THE VOID WAS INTERUPTED LIKE THE FEATHER FALLING FROM A NEST OR AN AUTUMN LEAF FROM A TREE. IT WAS NOT FILLED WITH MY EXPECTATIONS OF OTHERS, NOR THE EXPECTATIONS OF ME. RATHER TRANSFORMED BY THE GRACE OF STRANGERS AND THE LOVE FROM ABOVE.


In this 5 year anniversary , HE says well done great and faithful servant. Thanks to all of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment