Walking a new path may bring with it hesitation and trepidation of the unknown or excitement and illumination in the possibilities on the horizon. Grief often presents us with both , forming a path that appears to widen and be bright then narrow and dim with possibilities.
Darkness cannot exist in the presence of light. Physical light can "lighten" our spirits and energy. In grief there may be even more reasons to consider the sources of light you have surrounding you.
How can you let the light shine in your space to help you
- Slide aside. Is it possible for you to change out the heavy drapes or curtains on your windows and replace them with sheers or an airy pleated shade that can still provide insulation for your windows? Would you consider moving the sheers to the side in the morning to let more sunlight shine through and bring more sights of nature in? Simply removing the screens from windows where they are not needed can brighten your room.
- Reflecting beauty. Nothing is easier than a mirror to double the pleasure of something beautiful or bright. Mirrors are inexpensive items to enhance the feeling of space as well as the feeling of lightness. Use mirrors to reflect something beautiful like the outdoors , a chandelier or your face upon entry into the home. Mirrors are effective in moving energy as well according to the study of feng shui. Moreover, mirrors just feel good. Just keep them clean!
- Shine on through. Glass table tops on coffee tables or side tables will also reflect interior lighting that you may have close by or light from outside. Glass also creates a feeling of greater space . Add to a tabletop serving dishes of crystal or colored glass. Grab a recycled jar and fill it with marbles, stones or sand. Add a votive candle to it and another source of brightness can fill your room. Using the same idea with coffee beans in the kitchen is practical and easy as well. When the candle warms up , so do the beans!
- Triangle pose. The tripod is a steady and firm foundation. When lighting your room think of the triangle as well. Try to incorporate at least three sources of light in your room. These sources could be floor lamps, table top lamps, overhead lighting, accent lamps or low voltage ambient lighting. Using a floor lamp with a full spectrum bulb is an extra bonus as you can get the health benefits of sunshine while indoors. Placing the sources into a "triangle" in the room helps to eliminate unwanted dark areas of the room.
- Great timing. Consider timers for many of the lights you use regularly. In the winter it is especially comforting to have the way lit ahead of time. Using energy saving bulbs is helpful as well.
- Bright ideas. If others are asking how they may help consider the following. Ask them to wash a few of your windows inside and out, especially the ones you use the most. Suggest to them some of your favorite scented candles and maybe they could purchase you one or two. The newer soy candles on the market are a healthy alternative to your space. If you like the idea of candles but are concerned with the flame, suggest to them the battery powered candles that flicker and cast a warm glow.
Let that light shine!